Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
These Moroccan Pides are a fabulous twist on the traditional pizza. Lamb and pine nuts infused with Morrocan flavours and zesty marinated zucchini are encased by a crisp yet soft pide casing. They look amazing and taste even better and are absolutely perfect for any dinner party. They are also brilliantly complemented by tzatziki which you can purchase or make your own by following my tzatziki recipe (see Easy Peasy Tzatziki).
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast (I use a 7g sachet)
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
LAMB AND ZUCCHINI TOPPING
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500 g ground lamb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced longways in 3mm slices
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- tzatziki, to serve
- fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- PIDE DOUGH: Combine the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the water and oil. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until combined and a soft dough forms. Turn dough onto a well-floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth. Set aside in a bowl covered with a tea towel.
- LAMB AND ZUCCHINI TOPPING: Preheat the oven to 200°C Combine vinegar, 2 cloves of the garlic, 1/4 cup oil, 1 tsp cumin and 1/4 cup tomato paste in a small baking dish. Add zucchini and toss to coat then season with salt and pepper. Cover with alfoil then cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook onion, stirring for 3 minutes or until soft. Add lamb and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Add allspice, 2 tsp cumin, remaining tomato paste and 2 tbs water. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in the pine nuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper, cover and set aside to cool.
- TO ASSEMBLE PIDES: Divide dough into 2 portions. Roll out 1 dough portion on a lightly floured surface to make an oval shape about 15cm wide and 30cm long. Spoon half of the lamb mixture down the centre, leaving a 4cm border at each end.
- Lay half the zucchini slices diagonally, spaced evenly down over the mince mixture on the dough. Fold in the sides of the dough to enclose filling slightly, leaving an opening down the centre. Place on a lined baking tray. Repeat with remaining dough, lamb and zucchini.
- Bake pides in oven at 200°C for 15 minutes or until dough is golden brown and crisp. Serve pides with tzatziki and garnished with fresh coriander leaves.
I loved this as well. I made it a while back now and forgot to review it. Sorry! I will make it again and at that point I will update the review. I don't often have lamb so I will make this also with ground beef. NO problem with dough at all!
Update: I made this again but instead of the pide, I used two 14" tortillas. I put the bottom tortilla in the oven on a pizza pan until it was crispy, then put on the toppings as stated and then some mozzarella and another tortilla on top. The first tortilla had shrunk so I was worried when I put the raw tortilla on top but it shrank as well so it was even by the end. I also used ground beef in place of the lamb and it was NOT as good. :o( The lamb gives it a much more complex flavor and I was disappointed. I did pass the recipe on to a friend who eats wild game. I think that would also work well.
I lovvveeddd this!! i hav no idea wat sri1969 was talking about, the dough was perfect for me and i followed the recipe exactly. Just make sure you knead on a floured surface and it works fantastic :) But seriously, this was delicious.. an amazing blend of flavours and i will definitely cook again.. AND AGAIN!
as someone who has been working with dough for twenty odd years this recipe did not look right to me and i must say i have never come across anything worse it is far too wet to manage and took me quite some time to clean up consquently i could not use this dough at all i think you need to check your amounts because as is it is completely unmanagable