Raisins, apricots, and a delicious blend of spices make this slow-cooker stew hard to resist. *NOTE*: I have now reduced the amount of tomato paste to 2 tbsp (originally 1/4 cup). Thanks Toni.
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ground black pepper
- hot cooked couscous (whole wheat preferred)
- pine nuts, toasted
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker place carrots and onions.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add to cooker; top chicken with raisins and apricots.
- In bowl whisk broth, tomato paste, flour, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon and the ground black pepper.
- Add to cooker.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6-1/2 to 7 hours (or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours).
- Serve in bowls with couscous.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serves 4.