Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
The pastries in Morocco are truly magnificent. They have incorporated French techniques with Middle Eastern ingredients such as almonds, dried fruits, honey and sesame seeds to make their renowned desserts. This authentic cookie recipe is as easy to make as it is to eat!
- 236.59 ml blanched finely ground almonds
- 118.29 ml confectioners sugar
- 4.92 ml honey
- 4.92 ml almond extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 118.29 ml butter (at room temperature)
- 236.59-295.73 ml all purpose flour
- 118.29 ml sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, almonds, sugar, honey, almond extract, egg, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gradually add in the flour to form a dough (knead with clean hands if necessary—it can be sticky). Refrigerate dough for about 10 minutes, or until it is slightly firm.
- Pour seeds into a small bowl. Pinch off a walnut sized ball of dough and roll it in the sesame seeds to coat. Then, take the ball and roll it between your palms into about 2 in long pieces, tapering the ends .
- Place side by side on a cookie sheet , curving them into crescent shapes. Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown, being careful not to burn.