Vanillekipferln (German almond crescent cookies)
- Ready In:
- Cut the vanilla beans lenthwise and scrape out the cream.
- Mix the vanilla cream together with the sugar.
- Sift flour and add salt, cut in butter, 70g of the homemade vanilla sugar and the almonds.
- Work to form a smooth dough.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 175°C or 350°F (only approx.) Roll the dough into a long sausage, approximately 1 cm (1/2") thick.
- Cut off every 7 cm (3") and bend to form a half-moon.
- Bake on a parchment paper lined baking sheet at 175°C for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove the Kipferln from the baking sheet.
- While still warm roll in remaining vanilla sugar.
- Let cool.
- Sprinkle with sifted icing sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a Canadian stay-at-home mom of three living in Germany. My husband is German, but has fallen in love with the North American cuisine. I teach English at a night school and love to spoil my students on the last night of class with a good pan of brownies. I love to cook, but even more than that I love to bake. I spoil my family as often as I can. When I am not baking or cooking, I am a passionate handicrafter. I love to knit and woodwork and make toys for my kids.