Vanillekipferln (Vanilla Crescent Cookies)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe has been posted in response to a request for an Austrian dish. It came from Saveur magazine's December 2003 issue. Prep time includes chilling time for dough.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 29mins
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup blanched almond, finely ground
- 3 (9 g) packets vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 lb cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Combine flour, 3/4 cup of the confectioners' sugar, almonds, 2 of the vanilla sugar packets, and salt on a clean surface, shape into a mound, then make a well in the center.
- Add butter and lemon extract to well.
- Using your fingers, work flour-nut mixture into butter until dough resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle milk over dough, knead until smooth, and shape into a ball.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift remaining confectioners' sugar and vanilla sugar into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Divide dough into 16 equal pieces.
- Using your hands, roll each piece of dough out on a clean surface into 3/4 inch thick ropes.
- Cut ropes crosswise into 2-1/2 inch pieces, then gently pinch ends to round off edges.
- Shape pieces of dough into small crescents and transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until goiden around edges, 12-14 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool for 1 minute then transfer a few at a time to bowl of sugar and coat well.
- Transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely.
- Cookies may be stored in airtight containers for up to 1 week.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION