Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I recently visited my aunt in Ogden UT. We stopped by The Greenery for these muffins. After some diligent hunting we found their recipe. These are almost like a yeast bread when fresh baked. Serve them the Utah way with honey butter. Prep time is approximate. May be shorter.
- Combine water and baking soda. Stir until dissolved. Cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour and salt and add to cream mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in both cereals and nuts.
- Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until they test done.
- Muffin batter may be kept for 1 week in refrigerator and baked in smaller batches if desired.
Actually you can find the recipe right on the greenery restaurants website. You're supposed to let the batter sit overnight to soften all the bran before baking.
Just like mom's! (And yes, she is Mormon so she makes authentic momo muffins :) Delicious, and definitely soften the cereal with the hot water and I like to serve with the honey butter Honey Butter. It makes alot of muffins but that is good because I could not stop eating them!
I have been searching for this recipe for about 10 years now!! Ever since I had them at the very same restaurant!!! Thanks for finding it and posting it!! Another thing they have there that I dearly love is their sauteed butter and garlic mushrooms! Yummy! I make the alot since I had them at the The Greenery......thanks again for this fantastic muffin recipe!!