Recipe by Sherrie-pie
From Leith's Recipe of the Day. I haven't made it yet but the recipe says: a delicious lemon drizzle cake that is ideal for teatime. It is a little moist, so take care when eating it. I couldn't get the correct description for cherries in. It should read: 4oz/110g drained weight tinned or bottled morello cherries There's three lots of sugar in this recipe, btw.
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 ounces caster sugar
- 2 ounces soft light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 ounces morello cherries (jars or tinned)
- 1 grated lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F, gas mark 4.Grease and flour a 1lb.450g loaf tin. Line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the butter, add the sugar and beat well until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, beating well between each addition. If the mixture looks as though it might curdle, add a tablespoon of flour.
- Add the flour and stir until just incorporated. The mixture should be of a reluctant dropping consistency so if it is too thick, add a little milk.
- Add the cherries and lemon zest and pile into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- Heat the lemon juice, add the caster sugar and allow to dissolve. Pour this over the still warm cake and leave to get cold, then remove from the tin.