Recipe by byZula
I went looking for this recipe after I tried it at a chinese restaurant called Sung Sing. They had noodles in it as well though. This was the closest I could find at chinesefooddiy.com.
Top Review by Tara R.
My daughter and I made this this week. The directions were not great and we had to make up as we went. It turned out good but was a lot of hard work. Most of the work was trying to decide what was the marinade for the chicken and so forth; we really couldn't figure it out so we just made it up as we went. It's a great recipe but it would be helpful if the ingredients were separated into marinade and so forth so it's not so confusing.
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil or 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons freshly-ground chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely-chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 4 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, cut 1-inch triangles
- 3 scallions, mainly white cut into 2-inch lengths (spring onions)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 2 teaspoons cold water, for thickening
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons ground bean sauce (mo si jeung)
Directions See How It's Made
- (This is what I couldn't put in the ingredient section :10 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut on diagonal into 1/4" thick by 2-inch -long slices)and 4 x Chinese dried mushrooms (soaked in warm water for 45 minutes, rinsed, water squeezed out, stems discarded, caps halved).
- Mix the marinade ingredients together and marinate the chicken while you prepare all of the other ingredients for cooking. Mix together the garlic, chilis, and onion. Combine the ground bean sauce, water, and sugar.
- Heat a wok, add the groundnut oil, and swirl the surface with oil. Stir-fry the garlic mixture for 5 seconds. Add the ground bean sauce mixture and stir-fry for 5 seconds. Add the rice wine and combine. Pour in the broth; then the dark soy sauce and stir to combine. Add the chicken, mushrooms, bell peppers, and scallions. Stir-fry over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Then, reduce the heat a little, and stir in the thickening mixture for a few seconds.
- Finally, add the sesame oil, which will impart a beautiful fragrance and richness to the dish.
- Serve hot over rice.