Recipe by Emily Elizabeth
This is a great dish for a weeknight because you can quickly mix up the ingredients and pop it in the oven for an hour while you do other things. I love that it is very versitale and does well with substitutions and differing amounts. If I don't have cottage cheese, I use ricotta or if I have a little left of each I will use both. I've even used up leftover mexican cheese instead of the mozzarella and it still tastes great! My mom used to make this recipe every couple of months when I was growing up and it was always such a treat. I was pleasantly surprised to find out how easy it is to make! Sometimes she made it in a pie crust and of course that was even better! I enjoy topping it with crumbled feta when I have some in the house. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine!
Top Review by Panda84
I made this for my first quiche (I'd eaten them before, but never made one), and for my friend's first quiche (to eat). It was received very well! I made it with cottage cheese, colby jack, frozen spinach, (prefried) onions and green peppers, garlic, salt and pepper. It was SOOOO good! Easily the best I've ever had! I'm going to add brocolli the next time I make it.
You can see (whenever the photo shows up) that I made it in a 9x13 Pyrex. I did this because I wanted a double recipe, and because these have a lid, and I enjoy lids!
This really hit the mark! It was DELICIOUS!
In all, I used six eggs and 10 oz of frozen spinach, the smaller container of cottage cheese and half a bag of shredded cheese.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (or 2 cups cooked fresh spinach)
- 2 cups nonfat cottage cheese (or ricotta cheese)
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour (or any type of flour will work, gluten-free brown rice flour works well)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (or any cheese will do)
- salt and pepper
- feta cheese (optional topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thaw spinach in the microwave. (Substitute - cook fresh spinach in skillet with a small amount of olive oil to make 2 heaping cups cooked).
- In a large bowl mix together cottage cheese (substitute ricotta if desired), eggs and flour. Then mix in the thawed spinach and shredded cheese and add salt and pepper to taste (about 4 shakes of salt and a couple shakes of pepper).
- Scoop mixture into 9" pie plate with our without pie crust and spread around evenly with a spatula.
- No Crust: Bake for 45-60 mins or until fork in the center comes out clean and it is slightly browned around the edges (depending on the depth of the pan, cooking time will vary).
- Crust: Bake for 1-1.25 hours. I do an 8" pie pan for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I recommend covering the edges of your crust with foil until the last 15 mins or so of baking (the thicker the crust, the less it will brown).
- Serve warm topped with crumbled feta cheese if desired.