Recipe by Finally a mom!
This is my mother's spaghetti sauce, my favorite. You can change the meat as you lik it but here's how my husband and I make it.
Top Review by CIndytc
I was surprised how good this sauce was, because of the odd ingredients in it.
But it turned out to be a nice mild flavored spaghetti sauce and thickened up great.
Made for Pick a Chef Spring 2011
- 1 (48 ounce) can tomato juice
- 3 large Spanish onions, very finely chopped in food processor
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 stalks celery & leaves, finely chopped in food processor
- 3 lbs ground meat (we use 2 pounds pork and 1 beek )
- 3 (284 ml) cans cream of tomato soup
- 2 (7 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper
- 1 pinch rosemary
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch Italian spices
- 1 pinch bay leaf powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 10 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer onions and celery in the butter in a very large and thick pot.
- In another pot, cook the meat in the oil.
- Drain the meat extremely well.
- Add all other ingredients and the meat to the large pot.
- Simmer over low heat for 4 hours.
- Stir every 15 to 20 minutes if possible.