Recipe by TJW
You can do this in the oven, or in the crockpot. Easy to make, and makes even the cheapest cuts of meat turn out falling-apart tender. MMMM.... My mom has been making this since I was a wee tike and is a tradition in our family at big get-togethers. The gravy goes great on Mashed Potatoes...
- 4 -5 lbs beef brisket
- 14 ounces beef stock or 14 ounces consomme
- 10 ounces light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim any super large pieces of fat from the meat, but leave a lot of fat on, it makes it tender.
- Score the meat in several places.
- Mix all ingredients together and pour over meat.
- Cover and marinate overnight, flipping occasionally.
- The next day, put the meat AND the marinade in a 5-6.5 quart Crockpot and set on low.
- Cook on low for 6-9 hours depending greatly on your crockpot until the meat is falling apart tender.
- In my 6,5 L crockpot it took only 5 1/2 hours.
- Shred the meat roughly and serve with potatoes using the juice as gravy. Do not throw out the Juices from the pan -- save it with the meat.
- Alternatively, cook it in the oven.
- In a covered pan and bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours for 4 pounds and 4 hours for 5 pounds.
- Baste occasionally.
- Take out and slice.
- Replace it in the pan and pour some of the marinade over brisket. Increase the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for another hour, uncovered.