Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is the meatloaf my mother and her mother made. I think it originally came from the Quaker Oats box. It is one of the ultimate comfort foods for me.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (use the % of fat vs. lean you want)
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal (I use Quick Oats)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 pepper (or a bit more if you like)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine all ingredients.
- I just gush it together lightly with my clean hands.
- Pack into a standard loaf pan.
- I spray with Pam first.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Great cold in sandwiches with ketchup!
I made this for Sunday dinner and my husband loved it. It made great sandwiches the next day. The only thing I did different was use 2 egg whites instead of whole egg. Very easy to make.
I was bored with my regular meatloaf and was trying to find something different and found this recipe. At first i almost didnt make it as it sounded too "plain"...i used a whole Vidalia onion chopped instead of the 1/4 cup the recipe calls for (I love onions!), and it was delicious and the oatmeal really helped hold it together. The next day's lunch was cold meatloaf sandwiches with Ketchup! yummy! Thanks so much for reminding us how easy and simple things are sometimes the best!
This meatloaf was easy to make but my husband did not like the texture- I did enjoy the flavor, and thought it made a good cold meatloaf sandwich.