Recipe by Suzy Q 2
I've been eating this macaroni & cheese since I was a little girl. I'm not sure where my mom got the recipe from, but it is delicious. We usually sprinkle with some parmesan cheese before browning.
Top Review by Outta Here
Pure comfort food and so easy. I made as written, but am going to try it with Jack cheese, also. Would be good with some diced ham or chicken for a main dish. Made for Fall 2009 PAC.
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup American cheese, cut into small pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter, add flour, salt, and pepper, wisk until smooth.
- Add milk slowly, whisking to blend.
- Cook until thick and smooth, add cheese and stir until melted.
- Cook elbow noodles as directed on package.
- Drain and pour into a baking dish.
- Pour cheese sauce over cooked elbows.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- *It's best to use a double boiler or nonstick pan to make your cheese sauce.