Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've been eating this macaroni & cheese since I was a little girl. I'm not sure where my mom got the recipe from, but it is delicious. We usually sprinkle with some parmesan cheese before browning.
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup American cheese, cut into small pieces
- Melt butter, add flour, salt, and pepper, wisk until smooth.
- Add milk slowly, whisking to blend.
- Cook until thick and smooth, add cheese and stir until melted.
- Cook elbow noodles as directed on package.
- Drain and pour into a baking dish.
- Pour cheese sauce over cooked elbows.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- *It's best to use a double boiler or nonstick pan to make your cheese sauce.
Pure comfort food and so easy. I made as written, but am going to try it with Jack cheese, also. Would be good with some diced ham or chicken for a main dish. Made for Fall 2009 PAC.
Yes, I would have to give this 5 stars!! The only changes I made was since I wanted this to be a main dish, I added some sauteed onion & pepper and shredded cooked chicken. I also used sharp cheddar cheese. We just thought this was the greatest thing, it was nice & creamy & way better than any box of macaroni & cheese!
yummy! one time i had to use spaghetti bc i ran out of elbows and i loved it even more i add garlic salt and sometimes some seasoned bread crumbs on top