Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This sauce is great with chicken or fish. I have used this for breaded chicken tenders and grilled shrimp. We loved it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet onions, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons light rum
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add rum and place back on burner. Cook until most of liquid has evaporated. Transfer mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Cool for about 20 minutes.
- When room temperature, add zest and juice of limes, mint leaves, sugar, and mayonnaise.
- Mix until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until serving.