Recipe by PJ #4
A really moist, rich fruit cake that tastes great and keeps well, ideal for Christmas or any other occasion. Can be made 2-3 months before required. Be sure to soak the fruit overnight.
Top Review by max m.
Thank you thank you<br/>I have never baked a cake in my life and i am 72<br/>I can cook most things well but not cakes<br/>For the first time in my life I followed the recipe as written<br/>I cannot tell a lie i purchased the fruit in a kilo bag from the supermarket<br/>everything went fantastic but I must admit i soaked the fruit and prunes for only three days in a fair<br/>amount of Brandy,Rum and Blackberry liquer<br/>cooked it for the said time and tested as stated<br/>have had a little sliver to taste and i am amazed<br/>Only problem is I think is no Driving for at least 4hours after a slice of this cake<br/>thank you again<br/>and cheers from australia
- 2 1⁄4 cups raisins
- 3 cups sultanas
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup glace cherries (chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups prunes (pitted and coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup golden syrup
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 2 teaspoons orange rind (finely grated)
- 250 g butter (softened)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 5 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 tablespoon brandy (extra)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place dried fruit, golden syrup, brandy and rind in a large bowl cover and stand overnight.
- Grease a deep 20cm square cake pan, line with 3 layers of paper, allow paper to come 5cm above the sides of the pan.
- Cream butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until creamy, Add eggs one at a time, beat well between each addition. The mixture may curdle but this will not affect the end result.
- Add soaked fruit, flour and mixed spice to butter mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon mixture into pan and drop pan onto bench to settle contents.
- Bake at 140°C for 4 hours turning pan a quarter turn several times through the cooking time to allow it to cook evenly,.
- If the cake starts to over brown on top, cover lightly with foil.
- Remove cake from oven when cooked and brush top with extra brandy, allow to cool in pan.
- When cool remove from pan and wrap in clear plastic and store in a airtight tin or wrap in foil.