Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a recipe I adapted from the internet. For buttermilk add 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice to a 1 cup measuring cup and add milk to the 1 cup mark, stir and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure you grease and flour the bundt pan well or it will stick.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee in 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour a bundt pan and set aside.
- In the large bowl of a standing mixer, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract; beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Stir in coffee after it has cooled on low setting until completely incorporated. Note: the batter will now be VERY runny, this is normal.
- Pour batter into bundt pan and bake on second rack from the bottom of oven for 40 to 50 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 45 minutes to an hour on wire rack before removing from bundt pan.
- Apply frosting of choice.
The batter is way too much for one bundt cake. Good thing I put a pan under it or my oven would be a disaster....It is still baking but the overflow is terrible. I will edit and add a flavor review once it cools. Edited to add! It was the best tasting cake I have ever had!!!
Thanks to previous reviewer, I half filled a loaf pan before pouring the rest of the batter into my bundt. This is exactly the kind of cake I was looking for: dense, moist, not overly sweet and melts in your mouth. I made it the night before a dinner party we were invited to, glazed it with a chocolate ganache and topped with mini chocolate chips. I recommend letting it sit in the fridge for a full day, it only improved the texture. Also, don't attempt to use baking spray on your cake pan. I did not get as good results turning out the loaf cake I used spray with but the bundt i greased and floured, left to sit 30 mins after baking and it slid out perfectly.
Tried to find a chocolate bunt cake to make from a box but could never get it right. So found this recipe for scratch bunt and it turned out right so easy to make, and a good review. And they were right, tastes great, so moist , melts in your mouth.