Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Here's a terrific tofu recipe that even the most tenacious tofu skeptic will succumb to :0)
Make and share this Mock Crab Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 7 slices whole wheat bread, broken into large pieces
- 3⁄4 cup minced celery
- 3⁄4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup minced carrot
- 1 small green pepper, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil (or other veg oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces firm regular tofu, pressed (I like vacuum sealed White Wave)
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 3⁄4 cup eggless vegan mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor or blender, whirl bread pieces into fine crumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until dried and toasty.
- Remove from oven; set aside.
- Brush a skillet with oil and cook celery, onion, carrot, pepper and parsley until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; set aside.
- Pulse tofu in food processor to a cottage cheese consistency, being careful not to puree it.
- In a large bowl, combine tofu, sauteed vegetable mixture, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, mayonnaise and seasoning. Mix well.
- Using about 1/3 cup for each, form mixture into 10 patties about 3 inch across and 1/2 inch thick.
- Coat each patty with remaining bread crumbs to cover.
- Place patties on a sprayed or nonstick baking sheet and spray tops lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Carefully turn cakes over and return to the oven to bake until second side is toasty and browned, about 10 minutes.
- Makes 10 cakes.
As a vegan wannabe I'm always looking for innovative animal-protein-free meals, and this one is now at the top of my list! Toasting the breadcrumbs first is an excellent and delicious idea. Instead of parsley I added a healthy dose of cilantro. It used up the last of my Old Bay Seasoning, but was well worth it! Izzy -- this is a real winner, thanks for posting it.
I was excited to find this reipe. I've been a vegetarian for several years and one thing I do miss is a fish-type meal. This was very good.I tried cutting down on the fat tho. I zapped the veggies in the microwave instead of cooking in oil,and used no oil in the mixing.Next time I'll cut down on the spices. I saved the leftovers to have for lunch tomorrow. I will make this again .And again. Thanks Izzy.