Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Hawai'i's BEST Mochi Recipes
Make and share this Mochi recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup mochiko sweet rice flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Stir together mochiko, sugar, and salt.
- Stir in water to form soft dough.
- Lightly knead dough on board dusted with katakuriko (about 30 seconds).
- Place dough in steamer tray lined with dampened unbleached muslin or several layers of cheesecloth.
- Spread dough evenly over dampened cloth, about 1/2" thick.
- Steam 20 minutes.
- Remove steamer tray from pan.
- Light out cloth with dough.
- Pull cloth away from dough, letting dough fall onto a flat surface dusted with katakuriko.
- Cool dough for 1-2 minutes.
- While still hot, roll dough into an 8" long sausage-shaped roll.
- Cut into 9 pieces.
- Sprinkle with katakuriko as needed to prevent sticking.
- Form into balls.
- VARIATION 1: Fill with crunchy peanut butter for peanut butter mochi.
- VARIATION 2: For chichi dango, add 2 tablespoons melted butter and substitute 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup milk.