Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a typical Scandinavian Vegetable dish; posted for Zaar World Tour 2006
- 3 medium carrots, sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 226.79 g green beans, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 head cauliflower floret (about 2 cups)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 118.29 ml whipping cream
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese (preferably freshly grated)
- Heat one inch water to boiling; add carrots, beans, cauliflower and onion.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain vegetables, reserving liquid; place vegetables in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Heat butter over low heat until melted; blend in flour, salt and pepper; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir one cup of the reserved vegetable water and the whipping cream into the butter/flour mixture; heat to boiling stirring constantly; boil and stir one minute; remove from heat.
- Pour sauce over vegetables; sprinkle with cheese; broil until top is light brown and bubbly about 3 to 4 minutes.
This was a very nice way to prepare vegetables. The flavor was simple and fresh and the vegetables were the focus not the sauce. We really enjoyed this.