Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A fragrant and rich lentil stew. You can use any combination of split lentils and whole lentils for this dish. The whole lentils should be soaked in hot water for up to an hour before starting (not included in preparation time).
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1⁄2 cup green lentil, pre-soaked
- 1⁄2 cup brown lentils, pre-soaked
- 1⁄2 cup French lentils, pre-soaked
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 red onion
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 400 ml beef stock
- 3 small smoked bacon ribs
- 2 bay leaves
- Chop onion and garlic. Fry onion in oil with cinnamon stick until translucent. Add other ingredients and simmer with a lid on, stirring occasionally, until brown and green lentils are soft, then take the lid off and reduce until thick.