Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Easy to make and pleasing to the eye, this is the perfect plated salad to accompany any savory winter dinner with its bright colors and flavors. If you can't get blood oranges, use navel--though the color won't be quite the same. And if only plain pecorino is available, compensate with a little extra cracked pepper.
- 2 blood oranges
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups watercress
- 2 cups radicchio (rough chop)
- 1⁄2 cup fennel, sliced paper thin
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, sliced paper thin
- 2 ounces pecorino pepato cheese (approximately)
For the Dressing
- 3 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 3 teaspoons orange juice, fresh
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- Peel the orange and then slice into 1/4-inch rounds and then cut in half to form half moon shapes and reserve.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the arugula, watercress, radicchio, fennel and onion.
- Combine the vinegar, orange juice, olive oil and salt and pepper; drizzle over the greens.
- Toss the ingredients well, being careful not to over-mix or bruise the lettuce.
- Form a pile of the greens in the center of a salad plate.
- Place the half moon orange segments around the salad.
- Shave 3 to 4 good size pieces of the Pecorino Pepato over the greens.
- Serve immediately.
Salad full of caracter!
I love blood oranges and fennel, so this was totally up my alley. The dressing is delicious in its own right, and would be at home on any salad.
Picked up on this recipe because of some of the out-of-the-ordinary ingredients that I've not worked with before & was extremely pleased with the results ~ A VERY TASTY SALAD! This was really easy to put together, & although I had to use regular navel oranges I found some very flavorful ones at the local farmers market! Also, I've been looking for a cirtus dressing, & the one included in this recipe is very tasty! Thanks for a keeper of a recipe, one I'd like to make this next autumn when blood oranges are available in my area! [Made & reviewed while touring Italy on Zaar's World Tour 4]