Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
There is only one word to describe this cake...lucious, well maybe two...decadent...what the heck...to die for!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups italian brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 g semisweet chocolate
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Grease and line a 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, heat the coffee, bourbon, chocolate, and butter, stirring until the chocolate and butter are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar.
- Let the mixture cool for 3 minutes and transfer to an electric mixer.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture, half a cup at a time, beating at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan, when cooled, turn out onto a serving plate.
- For the icing, combine the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler and stir over low heat until they are melted and combined.
- Cool slightly and then ice cake.