- 5 lbs russet potatoes or 5 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese (more if desired)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- crumbled bacon (optional)
- chives (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes in salted water until cooked down & tender.
- Pour off water, reserving 1in. of the potato water.
- Saute onion in stick butter until tender.
- Add to potatoes & water.
- Stir in sour cream, half & half, soups, & Velveeta cheese.
- Cook some more & add pepper and more half & half to thicken if desired.
- Simmer on low, stirring often for about 30-45 minutes.
- Serve with garnishes, if desired.