Recipe by Mirj
This recipe is part of the June 2002 Ready Set Cook contest. I was trapped in a boring PTA meeting and started writing out ideas for recipes. A friend of mine was looking over my shoulder and said, "Thanks, this is what we are going to have for dinner after this meeting!" Voila!
Top Review by Bergy
Mirjam keep going to those PTA meetings and write out recipes! Excellent recipe- the chicken stayed juicy and the veggies were a nice blend of flavors. There was a brown golden color to the dish with emerald green broccoli - very nice. I pounded the breasts slightly to even out the thickness. One thing - you did not say when to add the balsamic so I drizzled it over the dish just before removing from the heat and it was great Thanks and good luck inthe contest
- 4 individual portions boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb fresh button mushroom, cleaned
- 1⁄8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts (about 8 hearts)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh broccoli (defrost if frozen) or 1⁄2 lb frozen broccoli (defrost if frozen)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 dash ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- You can pound them flat or leave them thick, as you prefer.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a Teflon skillet, and sear the breasts, 4 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- If you leave the chicken breasts thick this may take a little longer.
- Remove the cooked breasts from the pan and keep warm.
- Chop the broccoli into small florets.
- Coarsely chop the onions and mince the garlic.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- If they are small you can cut them into halves.
- Coarsely chop the artichoke hearts.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the onions and saute until slightly softened and golden.
- Add the rest of the chopped vegetables and the garlic.
- Stir fry together for about 8 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, paprika, ginger, brown sugar, more salt and pepper to taste, and the water.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook and reduce the liquid, about 10 minutes altogether.
- Place each chicken breast on a plate and top with the vegetables.
- Serve with plain rice and a green salad.