Top Review by niki1128
This is really good! I have to admit I was a little hesitant when I saw the ingredients, but the flavor is great, and my family loved it A great healthy alternative to ice cream!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated low-fat milk
- 1 egg white
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon white creme de menthe (or a few drops mint extract)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- green food coloring (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan stir together the sugar and gelatin.
- Stir in evaporated milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar and gelatin dissolve and mixture almost boils.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl slightly beat the egg white and egg.
- Stir about 1/2 cup of the hot gelatin mixture into the egg mixture; return all to saucepan.
- Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes more.
- Do not boil.
- Stir in the skim milk, creme de menthe or mint extract, and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- If mixture isn't smooth, strain mixture.
- If desired, stir food colouring into mixture.
- Stir in chopped chocolate.
- Freeze mixture in a 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.