Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A favorite recipe for my brother-in-law who is from St. Augustine, Fl. Datil peppers can be purchased online or may be substituted with Jalapeno peppers. 51 oz can of clams can be purchased at most wholesale clubs (ex: Sams, Costco)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 2 datil bell peppers, diced (remove seeds)
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 51 ounces chopped ocean clams
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large stock pot render the chopped bacon.
- Keep the bacon in the pan.
- Add the onions and red and green peppers.
- Saute until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, clams and juice, potatoes, datil peppers and thyme.
- Let simmer until potatoes are fork tender.
I have made this many times with a similar recipe. It is wonderful, we live about 30 minutes from St. Augustine and grow our own datils. They are what makes it unique. Thanks for posting. Grew up eating this wonderful stuff!