Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
Darn, I lost my healthier meatloaf recipe. I developed this recipe by browsing other online recipes and my memory of the lost recipe. Prep time is an estimate as I already had most the ingredients chopped.
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, any color, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups ketchup, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups sweet barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large non-stick skillet, sauté onion for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add celery and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and carrot, sauté for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, egg whites, egg, sage, basil, salt, 3/4 cup ketchup, and 3/4 cup barbecue sauce.
- Add sautéed vegetable mix and ground meats to liquid.
- Mix until combined.
- Fill muffin tins with mixture and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ketchup and barbecue sauce.
- Drain any liquid, then top each loaf with a generous teaspoon of sauce.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with any remaining sauce.