Recipe by rainna
I like eating carrot cake, and it's so much better when there's frosting in every bite.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetables or 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄8 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 1⁄2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
For the frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grate the carrots by hand or with a food processor.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, butter, oil, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla extract.
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Add the carrots to the batter and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the chopped walnuts to the batter.
- Line mini cupcake tins with liners, and fill each liner about 2/3 full. Bake for 12 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, combine cream cheese and butter until smooth. Slowly add the sifted powdered sugar. Once incorporated, add vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix until combined.
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!