Recipe by Amy Veliquette
I wanted to make mini apple pies for my birthday but couldn't find a recipe. I ended up referencing a few recipes and coming up with my own. This was my FIRST recipe made up all on my own and it turned out great! (This isn't quite enough for a whole pie) Use your own preference and judgement with the cinnamon and nutmeg - they are estimates.
- 3 small apples
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pie crust (I used Pillsbury 2 crusts for 9 inch pies but any other prepared crust should work)
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKE FILLING AHEAD.
- Peel apple.
- Cut apples into thin, small pieces (I used my apple peeler, corer, slicer (http://tinyurl.com/ylhpgx) and an apple slicer corer (http://tinyurl.com/yfjo4h) - I ended up with slices about a quarter inch thick and half an inch wide).
- In a bowl with a lid, mix apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Seal and refrigerate for 12+ hours for mixture to get juicy.
- Cut circles to fit and place in mini tart pans (about 2 inch pans) I used 10.
- Fill crusts with apple mixture.
- Put extra crust pieces on top, sprinkle with sugar (I used a mini muffin pan to hold the tart pans).
- I had extra apple mix and pie crust so I made two (2) "apple burritos" by rolling up apple mixture in extra crust and sprinkling sugar on top.
- Both the pies and burritos bake for about an hour at 350 degrees (F).
- I would bake for 45 minutes and check.
- Wait for golden brown crust.