Recipe by Jean R
A very nice veggie-filled minestrone. Spinach or chard could be substituted for the kale. both will cook quicker than kale so adjust cooking time accordingly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb kale, stalks removed, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (19 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion soften, about 7-8 minutes. Add tomato paste, thyme and red pepper flakes; stir together until onions are coated, about one minute. Add kale and cook until the kale wilts, about 8 minutes.
- Place 1/4 of the beans in a food processor and blend just until beans are smashed (this will act as a thickener in the soup). Add all the beans to the pan as well as the tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until kale is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.