Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A very nice veggie-filled minestrone. Spinach or chard could be substituted for the kale. both will cook quicker than kale so adjust cooking time accordingly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb kale, stalks removed, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (19 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- In a large pot heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion soften, about 7-8 minutes. Add tomato paste, thyme and red pepper flakes; stir together until onions are coated, about one minute. Add kale and cook until the kale wilts, about 8 minutes.
- Place 1/4 of the beans in a food processor and blend just until beans are smashed (this will act as a thickener in the soup). Add all the beans to the pan as well as the tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until kale is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Delicioso! I added parsnips to this as I had them in my crisper ready to be used with no other prospects, but that was the only difference. Loved it! Thanks.
This was great soup! I'm new to kale so I didn't use a whole pound, maybe only eight stems or so, and I added some small pasta. It was delicious with some buttered bread, and was hearty enough to be the main course for dinner. I will make this again!