Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Food and Wine. Comfort food!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 zucchini, cut in quarters lengthwise and then crosswise into thin slices
- 3⁄4 lb green cabbage, shredded (about 1/4 head)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts canned low sodium chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 quarts homemade stock
- 1 2⁄3 cups drained and rinsed canned pinto beans (one 15-ounce can)
- 1⁄2 cup arborio rice
- 3⁄4 lb boiling potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 2)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, heat the 1/4 cup oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cabbage. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes longer.
- Add the broth, beans, rice, potatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the rice and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- Stir the pepper into the soup. Sprinkle each bowlful with Parmesan and drizzle each with 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil.