Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Looking for something to do with summer eggplant? I created this recipe to try and make a more healthful (lower fat, less sugar) recipe than the famous PF Chang chicken and eggplant. Kids and adults like it. This recipe easily serves four--with seconds...
- 1⁄4 cup gluten-free tamari, see notes
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon yellow miso (gluten free brand)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mirin (omit for gluten free)
- 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 lb chicken breast, minced, see notes
- 2 medium eggplants (approx. 2 lbs.)
- 4 ounces whole green onions, cut into one inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup beef broth or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Prepare eggplant. Cut into large cubes, salt over colander to remove bitterness (at least 15 minutes).Put into top half of steamer, steam until tender and translucent, about fifteen minutes.
- Make sauce. Add all listed ingredients and mix with fork until corn starch dissolved. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in large saucepan. Saute half the garlic in coconut oil. Add minced chicken, cooking until light brown. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add olive oil to pan. Saute remaining two cloves garlic.
- Add steamed eggplant, stirring briskly to avoid sticking. Add beef or chicken broth to pan. Add green onions, and add back cooked minced chicken.
. Pour prepared sauce over mixture, cook about two minutes until sauce thickens and eggplant begins to fall apart. Serve over steamed rice.
- Ingredient Notes:.
- Tamari Ginger Sauce:.
- I use Whole Foods Ginger Tamari sauce as a shortcut for first three ingredients. It is in the refrigerator case of produce section.
- Minced Chicken:.
- I use my Vitamix to mince chicken by covering breasts with water, then using Variable speed 4 for about 30 seconds to mince, and drain water. Don't use packaged ground chicken, the right consistency of the chicken is the essence of the dish. If you don't have a strong blender, then ask the people at the meat counter to mince.
- Coconut Oil:.
- Coconut oil is available at most markets and health food stores. This is one of the keys to getting the right taste. Don't confuse with the more widely used coconut milk.