Cook1 hr 30 mins
This delicious ALLERGY-FREE recipe is good anytime of the day!! It comes from a book called Vegan Delights. !!ENJOY!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups millet, washed (I have used a number of grains here; brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa, cracked rye, etc. can be used or)
- 3 3⁄4 cups water (can substitute your favourite juice and also add some lemon juice)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup or 1⁄2 cup other liquid sweetener
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of your favourite extract
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup ground nuts or 3⁄4 cup seeds or 3⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups dried fruit, chopped (dried pineapple, figs, rasins, cranberries, apricots, dates, etc, are all good)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind or 2 teaspoons orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice or 1⁄4 cup orange juice or 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 3⁄4 cup water (or your favourite juice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon your favourite extract
- Cook millet (or other grain) for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir in rest of crust ingredients.
- Spread HALF of this mixture into an oiled pan (9"x9" or 10"x10" will do).
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- While Millet (or other grain) is cooking, combine fruit filling ingredients in sauce pan, bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 30-45 minutes (or till fruit is mushy).
- Spread this fruit mixture over the first layer of millet (or other grain) in the pan.
- Add the other half of the millet (or other grain) mixture over top the fruit mixture.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 350F until dryer and firm.
- Cool and chill (for easier cutting).
- Keeps 6-8 days in fridge.