Recipe by Mallina Cashew
This delicious ALLERGY-FREE recipe is good anytime of the day!! It comes from a book called Vegan Delights. !!ENJOY!!
Top Review by RNMOMMY2BOYS
Great recipe and great bars. Although people may be allergic to some of the listed ingredients, you give several options to meet everyones dietary needs and personal taste. I used the millet, coconut extract, mixed nuts with two pinches of coconut for the crust options and dried cranberries and dates, orange juice instead of lemon, and coconut extract for the fruit filling. delish.
- 1 1⁄2 cups millet, washed (I have used a number of grains here; brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa, cracked rye, etc. can be used or)
- 3 3⁄4 cups water (can substitute your favourite juice and also add some lemon juice)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup or 1⁄2 cup other liquid sweetener
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of your favourite extract
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup ground nuts or 3⁄4 cup seeds or 3⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups dried fruit, chopped (dried pineapple, figs, rasins, cranberries, apricots, dates, etc, are all good)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind or 2 teaspoons orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice or 1⁄4 cup orange juice or 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 3⁄4 cup water (or your favourite juice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon your favourite extract
- Cook millet (or other grain) for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir in rest of crust ingredients.
- Spread HALF of this mixture into an oiled pan (9"x9" or 10"x10" will do).
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- While Millet (or other grain) is cooking, combine fruit filling ingredients in sauce pan, bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 30-45 minutes (or till fruit is mushy).
- Spread this fruit mixture over the first layer of millet (or other grain) in the pan.
- Add the other half of the millet (or other grain) mixture over top the fruit mixture.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 350F until dryer and firm.
- Cool and chill (for easier cutting).
- Keeps 6-8 days in fridge.