Versatile Vegan Chocolate Frosting (Dairy Free, Egg Free)
This is my favorite frosting because it meets allergy needs and it is super adaptable, quick and easy and OH-SO-FLUFFY and GOOD!
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened (I like Earth Balance)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (dutch processed if you have it)
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 1/4 cup coconut milk or 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or extract of your choice, match to the flavor you want) (optional)
- Using a stand mixer with paddle or whisk attachment, cream the margarine and shortening together.
- Add cocoa, powdered sugar and the liquids and mix slowly until incorporated; going too fast on this step is messy -- powdered sugar clouds and splatters -- go slow until you get those mixed in!
- Beat on high until fluffy. It usually takes 5-8 minutes of beating in the mixer for this to get super fluffy --- you will see the texture change and the color gets significantly lighter as well. If it doesn't lighten, it isn't ready.
- Variations: To vary the flavor, try different extracts: almond, peppermint, orange, rum, raspberry, etc. Try using orange juice or coffee instead of the milk. This chocolate base is really a great starting point to get a ton of gourmet flavor if you're up for it! ENJOY!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation