Vanilla Sponge Cake- Gluten, Dairy, Nut and Egg Free
Posting this cake for those who are looking for a cake that is gluten, dairy, egg and nut free. For allergies or food intolerances be sure to read all product labelling and be sure to buy flours that are suitable. This recipe uses a ready mixed gluten-free flour blend that has added gums for baking qualities. If you use a blend that does not have any added gums or gluten-free stabiliser then add in one teaspoon of xantahan or guar gum with the flour. I use ORGRAN brand flour and this is from one of their magazines. Orgran is gluten, dairy, nut, egg free and is vegan diet suitable. As stated - use a general purpose BLENDED gluten-free flour blend for this recipe---this recipe has not been developed for use with coconut flour or almond meal.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour (use a typical blended general purpose gluten-free plain flour mix -as stated in the intro)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup oil (I use vegetable oil)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C Oil and line a round cake tin. (I use 20cm/8inch pan- but smaller or larger will just vary the height of the cake).
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Use an egg whisk to aerate- their is no need to sift the dry ingredients.
- Using a mixing jug, beat the oil, vinegar, vanilla and water together. Mix well.
- Make a well in the flour mix and add the wet mix. Beat this together slowly and when mixed through beat with a wooden spoon for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.The mixture should be the consistency of a thick batter. Cook 45-60 minutes.
- When cooked, remove the cake from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes before turning out to cool.
- Decorate as desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Hi, does this make a 1 layer round cake or a double layer round cake pls....I have a Lil lady meaning 1yr who has allergies to dairy that I'm probably be making this cake for and her mommy wants her to have a giant cupcake smash cake. ...I need to know if I need to double the recipe or not in making the smash cake, thanks so much. ...Reply
Should have tweaked the whole thing. Perhaps added more baking powder...there is waaay too much sugar to flower ratio. I was thinking that but I don't really make cake. If you add about another cup of flower, use almond milk or something instead of regular milk, coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, and YOU NEED EGGS to make it fluffy...there is no way around it that I can see because this cake sucks!!Reply