Recipe by Kim D.
My grandmother used to make the BEST milk gravy! She would serve it over chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes. Unfortunatley, I never got her original recipe. I came across this recipe in a "Cooking with Paula Deen" magazine and I think this is very close to what my grandmother used to make!
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- ~NOTE~ This recipe will have more flavor if you use 1-2 tablespoons of oil from the oil you fried chicken fried steak in, or maybe even bacon grease. If you don't have that, no need to worry, you can use vegetable oil or vegetable shortening.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour, whisking constantly for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly.
- Stir in pepper and salt and continue cooking.
- Whisk constantly for about 10 minutes, or until thickened.