My oldest daughter was severely allergic to milk for three+ years, then *poof* the allergy ceased to exist in her system. While she had this allergy, we struggled with Milk-Free recipes/food. I began making nearly everything from scratch. I bought a really great book, The Milk-Free Kitchen, where this recipe is from. We still make these soft, fluffy and delicious pancakes. I will also post the recipe for Milk-Free Blueberry Pancakes.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together into medium mixing bowl.
- Melt 2 1/2 Tbsp margarine in frying pan until melted.
- Be sure to tip the pan side to side to coat/grease all over.
- Pour melted margarine in a small bowl, add water and egg (if you want to add egg); Mix well.
- Stir liquid mixture into the dry ingredients until it is thoroughly moistened.
- It is OK if this batter is lumpy.
- Cook the pancakes over medium-high heat on the stove-top (or 375F on electric frying pans).
- Cook pancakes until the tops are bubbly and the bottoms browned.
- Turn the pancakes over to cook other side (approximately four minutes per side).
- Serve hot with margarine, honey, brown sugar or maple syrup.
- Actual cooking time will depend on the size of the pan you are using; I have a small frying pan, so I have to do these individually. My mom has a griddle large enough to cook them all at once.