Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a family favorite I found from TOH. It's nice and chocolately and tastes just as well unfrosted as frosted. It also freezes well.
- 1 (7 ounce) milk chocolate candy bars
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- powdered sugar (optional)
- In a saucepan, heat the candy bar and chocolate syrup over low heat until melted.; set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10 inch fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
As a died-in-the-wool chocoholic, I can vouch for the fact that this is one great tasting cake ~ Absolutely loved it! The one thing I did not do, however, was to use the powdered sugar in the last step, but other than that, your recipe was followed & very much enjoyed! Definitely a keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my groupmates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #43]