Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great old fashioned, made from scratch BUTTER cake. I made it for a family gathering and all of my aunts want the recipe. I think the secret is the coconut milk, found in many grocery stores Asian food section. It is a very heavy cake. I made it once with coconut milk and butter and another time with vegetable oil and regular milk. You cannot even compare the 2!
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 1 -2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup prepared lemon curd or 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade or 1⁄2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 16 ounces confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups shredded coconut
- 1 pint fresh raspberries or 1 pint blueberries or 1 pint lemons or 1 pint orange zest
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat three 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- With mixer on medium speed, beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy in a large bowl. Mix in coconut milk, and extract. Add flour mixture a little at a time until incorporated. Batter will be VERY heavy. Set aside.
- In a 3rd bowl, using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter with a spatula until no egg whites remain. The batter should now be the consistency of cake batter.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 40 minute or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes then remove from pan and cool completely.
- In a large bowl beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and coconut extract and mix on low speed until smooth.
- Place one layer on pedestal. Spread with 1/4 cup of desired filling. Top with 2nd layer and the remaining filling. Top with last layer. Secure with skewers. Spread frosting on side and top of cake.
- Press a handful of coconut gently into side of cake. With remaining coconut, sprinkle on top of cake and chill. Garnish with raspberries etc.