Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I clipped the original recipe from the newspaper many years ago. It is another from Marcia Adams. I've changed it a bit since then, but not much...it is hard to improve on anything by Marcia Adams.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 16 ounces sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups rye breadcrumbs (soft, not dry)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients. (Go on - use your hands -- you can't make meatloaf any other way!).
- Form meat mixture into a loaf and place into a casserole dish.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Nice with scalloped potatoes and steamed green beans.
This was a nice meatloaf but strong in sauerkraut flavor. When you have a taste for sauerkraut this is a nice recipe to go for. I also served it with grainy mustard on the side for extra flavor.