2 hrs 20 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
Bouja is traditionally an upper Midwest (Minnesota) stew, while Burgoo is a specialty of the lower Midwest (Kentucky). In either case, it's what I would call a 'stew of opportunity', meaning that whatever you have on hand is what goes into the pot. In the past, squirrels were a main ingredient of the Burgoo. Anyway, I found this delicious combination recipe in Midwest Living and it made my house smell yummy, you can add squirrel if you like!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 -2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules or 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 medium potato, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables (green beans, corn, carrots and peas)
- 1 cup cubed rutabagas or 1 cup turnip
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped green sweet peppers or 1/2 cup sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, if needed
- 1In a large cooking pot, cook the chicken in 1 tablespoon hot cooking oil until no pink remains; remove the chicken from the pot, cover and chill but reserve the drippings in the pot.
- 2Brown the cubed beef chuck in the remaining drippings in the pot, adding more oil if needed.
- 3Add the water, chopped onion, instant bouillon granules and the dried thyme to the pot; bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- 4Add the remaining ingredients to the cooking pot and stir to combine; return the mixture to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes more, or until vegetables and meat are tender.
- 5Stir in the cooked chicken and heat through; season to taste with some salt and some additional pepper, if you like.
Nutritional Facts for Midwest Living's Bouja / Burgoo
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.0
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 74.0 mg
- Sodium 736.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 27.9 g