Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This is too good not to share! I could eat it every day, if saffron wasn't so expensive! I like to serve this with a simple grilled main entree to allow the flavor of the rice stand out. And with the tomato, peppers, and saffron, it is a beautiful-looking dish as well!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions in a heavy saucepan until golden.
- Add rice; stir briskly to quickly coat with oil.
- Stir in bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, tomato sauce, salt, garlic, saffron, and water.
- Cover, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (periodically check to be sure there is enough liquid and to give rice a little stir).