Mexican Take-Out Arroz Rojo (Red Rice)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 serrano chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups long-grain rice, rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion, chiles, and garlic and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the rice and cook until it begins to turn golden brown, about 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, salt, and lime juice in a blender and puree.
- Add the tomato puree and 1 1/2 cups water to the saucepan and stir to combine. Transfer the rice to a 4-quart baking dish or casserole, and cover with foil.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve hot.
- Note: Leftover rice can be reheated in a microwave.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
A truly delicious rice that went really well with some enchiladas I was making to serve to everyone at my sister's house. I especially loved the lime with the tomatoes. Gave it lots of flavor! I got lots of "MMmmm, this is good" --- "Wow, this is awesome!" and "Auntie, where did you get this recipe? It's so good!" As you can tell it was enjoyed by my whole family and I will be using it again sometime! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us Tx! Linda