Recipe by Andtototoo!
This is a recipe that I developed, and my favorite rice recipe to have with a Mexican meal.
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 serrano chili, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 cups rice
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1⁄2 carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick frying pan or a dutch oven put the oil and onion.
- Stir-fry over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Move the onion to the side of the pan and add the garlic.
- Stir-fry the garlic until the edges are just starting to brown, and then incorporate the garlic into the onion.
- Add the minced green chili and the green bell pepper and stir-fry for 3 more minutes.
- Add the rice and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, until all of the rice grains have gotten covered with the oil and the rice has had a chance to fry a bit.
- Add the tomato, corn and the carrot, cumin and oregano.
- Stir-fry for one more minute.
- Add the chicken broth (or vegetable broth or water).
- Bring the mixture to a good boil, cover, reduce heat to very low and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the rice rest, covered, for a few minutes.
- Stir in the peas and salt.
- Check for salt and then garnish with cilantro.
- You may eliminate any of the vegetables that you don't like.