Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A zesty twist on Spanish rice from the Southwest chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Serve with fried bananas or plantains for an authentic touch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 garlic clove
- 1 cup rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 1⁄4 small onion
- 1 carrot (peeled and diced)
- 1⁄3 cup green peas
- 1 small potato, diced
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Slice garlic and fry to a light yellow in the oil; remove.
- Wash rice well and spread in frying pan.
- Cook until light yellow, stirring up from the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- If necessary, add additional boiling water.
- Rice must perfectly dry and tender, but not soft.