Recipe by DailyInspiration
This chilli has some kick from two different types of chilli powder, plus dried chilli flakes. Recipe is from my Carb-Lovers Diet Cookbook.
Top Review by JennyMidget
Bit too much heat for our liking - even with the chilli halved! Was hoping to get a totally new chilli con carne experience with the cocoa, but I felt like the chilli powder drowned it out.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 bell peppers, green (deseeded and chopped)
- 2 (15 ounce) canslow-sodium diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onions, diced
- light sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, 6-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add meat and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until just cooked through, 5 minutes. Add cocoa, chilli powder, cumin, chipotle chilli powder, salt, pepper, and chilli flakes, and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add peppers, tomatoes and beans and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until most liquid is absorbed, 40-45 minutes.
- Divide between 6 bowls and garnish with fresh coriander, onion and sour cream if desired.