Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This chilli has some kick from two different types of chilli powder, plus dried chilli flakes. Recipe is from my Carb-Lovers Diet Cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 bell peppers, green (deseeded and chopped)
- 2 (15 ounce) canslow-sodium diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onions, diced
- light sour cream (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, 6-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add meat and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until just cooked through, 5 minutes. Add cocoa, chilli powder, cumin, chipotle chilli powder, salt, pepper, and chilli flakes, and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add peppers, tomatoes and beans and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until most liquid is absorbed, 40-45 minutes.
- Divide between 6 bowls and garnish with fresh coriander, onion and sour cream if desired.
Bit too much heat for our liking - even with the chilli halved! Was hoping to get a totally new chilli con carne experience with the cocoa, but I felt like the chilli powder drowned it out.