Recipe by Mirj
This is one of those recipes that actually gets better the longer it sits around. A must for mushroom fans! Prep time includes chilling time.
Top Review by yooper
These marinated 'shrooms develop an excellent flavor...the cumin and the red pepper adds just the right amount of heat. I didn't have Mexican oregano so I used the plain. Thanks Mirjam, I will make these often!
- 12 ounces fresh button mushrooms, cleaned and stemmed
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Mexican oregano (we use plain oregano)
- salt and pepper
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced into rings
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the mushrooms in a flat serving dish.
- Place the rest of the ingredients into a small heavy saucepan.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil and cook until the onions soften.
- Pour the marinade over the mushrooms and arrange the onion slices around the mushrooms attractively.
- Let the mushrooms marinate at room temperature for 4 hours, stirring frequently.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.