This is a Mexican Chef's recipe that is a quick and fabulous alternative for purchased tortillas or shells. Well worth the effort
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and shortening; mix until shortening is blended. Add water; mix well.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board; knead until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Roll dough into a ball; place into a plastic bag.
- Separate and roll out enough dough to make six 4- to 6-inch thin, flat rounds.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Place rounds in oil; cook each side 20 to 30 seconds or until light golden brown.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove rounds from skillet; drain on paper towel.
- Fill with prepared fillings as desired.