Indian Fry Bread
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups water, warm
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the water and knead the dough until soft.
- Roll the dough until 1/4 inch thick, then cut out rounds 4 inches in diameter.
- Fry the bread in 2 to 3 inches of hot oil until puffed and browned on both sides.
- Serve with honey, or powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.
This is the same recipe I make, so rather than post it I'll just give this one 5 stars! Only difference is my recipe calls for 2 teaspoons baking powder and after you mix the dry ingredients with the water there is no kneading. You just cover it and let it sit for an hour. Than I scoop out balls of dough with my cookie scoop, roll flat into 4 inch circles and fry! We use this for tacos, and it is one of my husbands favorite meals.
We loved them! We had Fry Bread the first time back in October at a resort here in Southern CA and got hooked. I made this last night for my family and they were devoured. My oldest DS couldn't get enough of them! Thanks for the great recipe. I think next time I might experiment and put a tiny bit of sugar in the recipe, as well as maybe use milk instead of water... They are fantastic as is though. Update: a little over a month later and I made them again for DS#1 and his friends - they LOVED them. One even asked for the recipe! Thanks again!