American Indian Fry Bread
photo by limeandspoontt
- Ready In:
- Heat oil in skillet til hot over med-high heat, but not smoking.
- In a large bowl, Combine the rest of the ingredients to make dough.
- Shape into round disks.
- Fry shaped dough in hot oil til brown and crispy.
- Serve hot.
- Traditionally you would eat this with stew.
- Or top with some honey.
- I personally like to spread a little butter on it.
- Two other popular choices, make chili.
- Pile Chili on top and add a little cheese, lettuce and tomato for a"Navajo Taco" Or use the round as your base for a Tostada, add taco meat, beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato and Guacamole.
- See my Creamy Guacamole recipe.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have tried several different recipes for fry bread in the past. I can stop looking I finally found the one:) It reminds me of my Grandmas, that the highest compliment I can give. I followed the recipe exactly but used a trick from another recipe when I patted out my dough. It is very sticky so slather your hands with oil prior to patting out the dough, Happy Frying.
How simple can you get? For fry bread it was great! I halved the recipe with no problem. Instead of veg oil, I used basil-infused avocado oil and it was wonderful. There was a hint of basil flavor. Next time I make these, I'll try adding some fresh chopped basil to the dough. Other herbs would probably be good too! I like this recipe a lot!